Is Neck Pain A Serious Condition?
The neck is a body part that consists of many important and vital structures.Any neck pain should promptly be discussed with your doctor. Although a pain in the neck is often due to trivial causes, more serious conditions can sometimes be present.
What Are The Causes Of Neck Pain?
Many structures of the neck can cause pain. Some possible causes of neck pain include:
- Muscular pain.
- Pain in ligaments.
- Soft tissue pain (due to injuries, abscess).
- Pain due to skin lesions (Herpes, burns).
- Pain due to airway disease.
- Pain related to the tonsils.
- Fractures of the jaw, lower skull and spine.
- Vertebral bone joint pain (Spondylosis).
- Spinal cord injuries (spinal cord compression).
- Pain in the thyroid.
- Pain during swallowing due to disease of the esophagus.
- Tumors of neck.
- Referred pain due to Angina, Myocardial Infarction and Meningitis .
Which Tests Can Be Done To Investigate Neck Pain?
Some of the tests that might be ordered by your doctor include:
- Complete blood count.
- X-rays of neck.
- CT scan of neck.
- MRI of neck.
- Lumbar puncture for CSF (cerebro-spinal fluid) collection.
How Is Neck Pain Treated?
As neck pain can caused by a wide variety of disorders, treatment has to be targeted according to the cause. Your doctor should be able to advice you on the optimal treatment options, or refer you to a colleague if different expertise is required.
In many cases, patients are often started on medications, and physiotherapy by their doctors. Injections and surgery may also be discussed as possible options.
With the recent advances in medical technology, there are now quite a number of new treatment options available to patients with neck pain.
At The Pain Relief Clinic, we provide cost-effective and on-site Xrays, MRIs, and treatments for neck pain.
Even for patients with long-standing neck pain despite undergoing other treatments, we offer a number of particularly effective options to stop neck pain.
Copyright by Zimmer MedizinSysteme GmbH